We keep both of thse popular beans, organic and non-organic. If we run out of organic, we still have yummy, clean, beloved, whole foods standard butter beans. They taste buttery with not an ounce or a pat of butter.. You can use some pureed beans as an egg replacer in baking - now there's a clever idea, innit?
- Cholesterol – Like all beans, butter beans (also known as lima beans) have no cholesterol content. In fact, incorporating beans in your diet can help lower the cholesterol levels in your body.
- Proteins – Kidney and lima beans, like most legumes, are inexpensive and rich sources of protein. They are a great alternative to animal proteins for vegetarians who suffer from protein deficiency. In addition, you can eat beans with other carbohydrate sources like rice or whole grain for your complete supply of protein.It'll give you a 30% better protein utilisation rate.
- Blood sugar – Beans are known to regulate the blood sugar levels in the body. Stabilizing the blood sugar level is essential if you want to lose weight, because low blood sugar can cause major food cravings.
- Fiber – Legumes, including kidney and lima beans, top the list of foods with high fiber content. Dietary fiber makes beans ideal for people with problems regulating their glucose metabolism, which leads to health issues like diabetes and hypoglycemia.
- Iron – Anemia is one of the most common problems suffered by many, especially women, because of iron deficiency. If you are a vegetarian or on a low-fat diet, you can add beans to your diet to benefit from the high iron content of these foods.
- Cardiovascular health – Beans are rich in folate and magnesium. Folate aids in lowering the levels of homocysteine. High levels of homocysteine in the blood causes the risk of heart attack, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases.
Moreover, magnesium helps improve the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients throughout the body by relaxing the veins and arteries.
The best way to cook the beans is to soak them in water overnight, then change the water and cookthem til they easily give when you press them with your fingers. Cook them to softness. A crunchy bean is an indigestible bean.